A lovely gift of ready to be made soup mix in a jar; a very popular gift idea.
Yield 4 servings
May be doubled or tripled.
- 1/4 cup barley
- 1/4 cup dried split peas
- 1/4 cup uncooked white rice*
- 1/4 cup dry lentils
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
In a wide mouth pint jar layer the barley, split peas, rice, and lentils.
In a small plastic bag combine the parsley, garlic, pepper, salt, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and sage.
Attach a recipe card with the following directions:
- Empty jar contents into a colander and rinse.
- Place contents in a stockpot and cover with 2-3 cups water.
- Stir in 1 chopped medium onion, and the seasoning packet.
- Bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Check after 30 minutes and add additional water if necessary.
*I think it would be better to use brown rice for this because the white rice will turn to mush before the beans get cooked.
To double–add 5-6 cups of water
To triple–add about 8-9 cups of water
Water can be adjusted according to how think you like your soup!