© Leslie Sausage
Must we re-think the weekly menu and grocery list 52 times a year!
What if we create a basic monthly menu and general shopping list which can be used over and over?
Of course, this is flexible, and new items can be added to your menu while the ones you’re tired of can be deleted, but the idea is to MAKE a menu plan, PRINT IT OUT and take it with you when you MUST make an emergency trip to the grocery store.
(Technology Update: I keep my menu and grocery list on my phone.)
Hopefully, this will prevent the problem of “I got a full basket of groceries and NOTHING to eat!” Most of these are simple meals that don’t need a lot of fuss to get to the table.
My 5-week plan has 5 dinner meals each week. This allows for one leftover night and one night out. You can make the meals as simple or complicated as you want.
For example, many grocery stores offer baked chicken in the deli. You may choose to purchase this instead of baking it yourself at home. You may choose canned green beans and instant mashed potatoes or you may have the time to make the baked chicken yourself, fresh green beans and homemade mashed potatoes.
You decide what works for you!
- Hamburgers, lettuce, tomato, cheese, oven fried potatoes
- Baked Chicken, green beans, mashed potatoes, gravy
- Macaroni and Cheese, Spinach
- Pea Soup and ham, garlic bread
- Shrimp and rice, broccoli
- Tuna noodle casserole, corn, chicken soup, cheese, noodles, mayo
- Polish sausage, pan-fried potatoes, red cabbage
- Veal stew, potatoes, carrots, beef bouillon
- Tacos, cheese, taco seasoning, lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, ground beef
- Chicken Chinese meal, snow peas, rice, chicken breast, carrots
- Chicken breast, rice, spinach, mushrooms
- Spaghetti, meatballs, garlic bread, salad
- Pork chops, Au gratin potatoes, sauerkraut or red cabbage
- Beef Stew, potatoes, and carrots
- Lasagna, salad
- Hot dogs, baked beans, sauerkraut
- Steak, rice, salad
- Omelets and pan-fried potatoes
- Meatloaf, potatoes, carrots
- Soup and sandwich (egg or tuna salad), chicken noodle soup
- Homemade Pizza, salad
- Vegetable dinner, steamed squash, corn on cob, carrots, green beans, hot rolls
- Cabbage rolls, soft bread steaks, salad
- Chicken noodle casserole, carrots or vegetable in season
- Shrimp, red beans and rice, steamed broccoli
Focus on the weekly specials of fruit and vegetables in season–changing as needed
Staples: flour, sugar, cereal, orange juice, soup, mayo, condiments, salt and pepper, paper products, cleaning products, personal products.